Well, maybe I worded that wrong, but when it comes to your self-care its ok to be selfish and put yourself first. This comes up a lot for all my clients, but especially my female clients. I think from a young age it is ingrained in us women to be selfless givers and caretakers and to put ourselves last.
Being a giver and a lover and a caring person IS important but not at the expense of your health and well-being.
If we are not filling our cups we can’t help pour into others. MANY times in my life I have taken on SO much more than I can humanly handle and what do you know I start to loose touch, I start eating away my emotions, making excuses for not exercising, stop seeing friends, and feel lost.
When I slow down and pare back my schedule and take care of myself I can be 100% present for the people in my life.
Here are some ideas
- Change your sheets regularly so they smell nice and fresh
- Put on makeup every day and do your hair before you leave the house
- Buy a beautiful notebook or new book
- Take a nap and recharge
- Have a weekend or day in your pajamas
- Buy yourself some flowers
- Write a letter to a friend or family member
- Take a long bath with candles and wine
- Take a fun art or yoga class
- Go to bed at a decent time so you feel rested the next day
Feel free to add to the list!